Workplace Ethics Dos and Don’ts
Ethics is defined as a guiding philosophy; therefore, workplace ethics is a guiding philosophy in the workplace. There are fundamental of conduct that employees need to consider while at work. Here’s a list of dos and don’ts that one has to keep in mind to keep a good status and image at work.
- Be punctual – Being on time at work and in meetings is a sign of professionalism as well as respect to other people’s time. There are schedules that need to be followed and policies that need to be implemented when it comes to time management. Discipline is the key to being punctual at all times.
- Dress professionally – Putting on neat clothes and dressing for success shows that you mean business. Putting an extra effort to look good and clean is a sure way to make people take you seriously. Follow the organization’s dress code at all times and you’ll never go wrong.
- Be helpful – Lending a helping hand to a co-worker in need is a great way to help not just a co-worker but also the whole company. Helping someone shows that you are not a selfish person rather a thoughtful person that one can depend on. Being helpful doesn’t only benefit the co-worker you helped, but also the company by helping everyone to be productive. It also benefits you as people get to know you as a team player.
- Be respectful – Respecting others doesn’t mean that you only respect your bosses, but also respecting your colleagues and even your subordinates. Respecting other people is not confined within the higher ranks but should be practiced for all levels of people in the organization. A respectful person also commands respect from others.
- Stay positive – Staying positive amidst challenges and pressures at work is a good way to keep yourself on track. Being positive keeps you focused on your goal. You are not being sidetracked by some setbacks that you encounter.
- Don’t engage in office politics – Stay away from people that cause division and friction. Give your best in whatever task that you do and expect that you’ll get noticed and have the promotion and recognition you deserve without courting favor from the bosses.
- Don’t entertain gossips – Reject any form of gossips in the office. Engaging in gossips will affect your productivity as time is wasted while you gossip. It also opposes to being respectful and staying positive in the workplace. Gossiping about others is a form of disrespect. Gossip has never been a positive experience rather it spreads negativity.
- Don’t cultivate personal emotions at work – Some people, especially the bosses, may be demanding and stressful to work with but they are not doing it to personally hurt you or put you down. Just like you, they are just doing their work and they are also being pressured and stressed by their own bosses and other factors. Just concentrate on your work and keep your emotions at bay.
There are other dos and don’ts to remember in the workplace. The important thing is to go back to the basics. Know why are you working in the first place. This will keep you focused and keep you from all the distractions.
Head of HR, HR Counselor and adviser at https://jobpal.lk and EFutureTech Systems. Submit your resume online and be contacted by prospective employers.